It is always best to be prepared. This checklist while not all encompassing, will assist you in compiling a number of documents which will allow your attorney to assist you in a more efficient and expeditious manner.
Tax and Income Information
- Individual, Business and/or Corporate tax returns for past two to four years (federal, state, and local)
- Proof of you and your spouse's current and past income, W-2, 1099s, K-1s & Pay Stubs
Current Assets & Debts
- 12 months worth of statements for Checking, Savings and/or Money Market accounts
- Copies of all Certificates of Deposit statements
- List and if possible pictures of the contents of any safety deposit boxes
- Copies of current defined benefit (pension) statements
- Copies of current defined contribution plans such as , IRA, Roth IRA, SEP-IRA, 401(k) ,403(b) and 457 plan
- Health Savings Account Statements (HSA) , Medical Savings Account or Employer Funded Health Care Account
- Statements relative any Non-Retirement Accounts
- Stock options with corresponding vesting schedule
- Frequent Flier Mileage Statements/Rewards Statements
- Credit and Debit card statements
- Other bills (e.g., school tuition, unreimbursed medical bills, music lessons for children, etc.)
- Monthly Budget or Annual Financial Spreadsheets
- Completed or Partially Completed Financial Disclosure Statements
- Recent Credit Reports (Experian, Equifax or Transunion)
- Loan Documents to/from family and friends
- List of property owned by each spouse prior to the date of marriage (Premarital Property)
- List of property acquired by each spouse individually via gifting from a party other than their spouse, from or from inheritance during the marriage
- Any other documentation which may support your position that your spouse has utilized marital funds for non-marital purposes
Real Estate Records
- Mortgages & Notes (Primary and Home Equity) on your primary residence and all vacation & rental properties
- Copies of any outstanding judgments or liens previously taken against you
- Utility bills, WE Energies, Phone, Cable, etc.
- List of personal property, including but not limited to home furnishings, jewelry, artwork, computers, home office equipment, clothing and furs, etc.
- List of Children's Current Health Care Providers, primary care doctors, specialists, therapists and specialists
Home & Insurance Related Documentation
- Homeowner’s insurance policies including Umbrella
- Automobile insurance policies
- Personal property appraisals, i.e. Jewelry, Coin Collections, etc.
- Real Estate appraisals & Market Analysis
- Legal Description of all real estate in either party’s possession as found on home related documentation i.e. Warranty Deed or Title Policy
Employment & Insurance Related Documentation
- Employment Contracts & Covenants Not to Compete
- Employee Benefits statements
- Life insurance policies, parents' and children
- Health insurance policies
- Medical Reports which address any disabilities
Prior Legal and Estate Planning Documentation
- Prior Divorce Pleadings (Marital Settlement Agreements & Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Judgment of Divorce)
- Prenuptial, Post Nuptial or Marital Property Agreement
- Declaration to Physicians
- Powers of Attorney, Health Care & Financial
- Trusts- Revocable or Irrevocable
EMAILS AND OTHER FORMS OF COMMUNICATION
In addition to the above referenced documentation, there may also be inherent value to e-mails or other documentation between you and your spouse or other family members which may establish things like mind set, motivations, mental well being, and other valid concerns.
Schmidlkofer, Toth, Loeb & Drosen, LLC
949 Glenview Avenue
Wauwatosa, WI 53213
The information you obtain at this site is not intended to be legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.
Copyright (c) 2010 by Attorney Christopher Drosen. All rights reserved. You may reproduce materials available at this site for your own personal use and for non-commercial distribution. All Copies must include this copyright statement.
Located in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, Schmidlkofer, Toth, Loeb & Drosen, LLC proudly serves the entire metro area including Waukesha, Elm Grove, Brookfield, Muskego, Mukwonago, Hartland, Oconomowoc, Pewaukee, New Berlin, Bay View, Greenfield, Franklin, Greendale, Fox Point, West Allis, Whitefish Bay, Shorewood, Mequon, Menomonee Falls, Delafield, Wauwatosa, and all of Milwaukee County and Waukesha County
This web site is sponsored by Schmidlkofer, Toth, Loeb & Drosen, LLC Attorneys at Law. This web site is only intended to provide information to the reader. This web site is not intended to provide legal advice and you are strongly advised to contact an attorney if you have any questions about the information contained herein. This web site does not create an attorney/client relationship. Furthermore, communication with Schmidlkofer, Toth, Loeb & Drosen, LLC., through this site does not create an attorney/client relationship. There is no expectation of privacy between persons communicating with attorneys via electronic mail and therefore, it may not be privileged and it may be disclosed to other parties. If you are a client or a potential client, it is strongly suggested that all sensitive or confidential information be communicated directly to an attorney via telephone or in-person.
If you communicate with us through this Web site, or otherwise in connection with a matter for which we do not already represent you, your communication may not be treated as privileged or confidential. If you communicate with us by e-mail in connection with a matter for which we already represent you, please remember that Internet e-mail is not secure and you should avoid sending sensitive or confidential messages unless they are adequately encrypted.