Helping You Overcome Life’s Most Difficult Legal Challenges

Watch out for nosy neighbors who could report “crimes”

On Behalf of | May 18, 2021 | Criminal Defense |

If a neighbor sees you hand over a bottle that looks like beer to a minor, they could call the police and report it just to find out that it was root beer. They might see you have friends over every day or two and report that you’re running drugs. They may have a doorbell camera “catch you” stealing only to later find out that it wasn’t you in the video.

Nosy neighbors are often well-meaning individuals, but calling the cops can put you in a difficult position. You could end up facing false allegations for crimes you haven’t committed, which can take a lot of time to clear up.

What should you do if you’re falsely accused of a crime?

The first thing to remember is that if there is no evidence of a crime and an officer has no warrant, they don’t have a right to search you or your property. An officer may come to ask questions, but without more proof, an arrest would be unlikely.

Your responsibility in this kind of situation is to let the police know that you’ll be contacting your attorney. You can be cordial, but be aware that you don’t have to say or do anything that could incriminate yourself. If the officer arrests you, go with them to the precinct, but don’t talk to them about the case. Give your name and basic information, but other than that, wait for your attorney to arrive. Your attorney can advise you and ensure that your rights are protected.

After this is resolved, your attorney may also be able to help you with a claim against any neighbor who made a false accusation, because your reputation could have been damaged by their actions.